Saturday 11 August 2012

Derby Round Up

Last night's training consisted of some endurance (1 minute sprint followed by 1 minute of squats followed by 1 minute of sprinting followed by 1 minute of small skull crushing followed by a 2 minute sprint, then all that in the opposite direction), catching our partner (do a four point fall then try to catch up to your buddy within 10 seconds) and catching lots of goats!

The endurance part was fine, except my skull crushing seems to have gotten slower....might be the poisons, and the fact that my left knee and right thigh have been a little painful all week.  But it's something to think about working on.  I think I'm quite good at endurance - you notice other people slowing down half way and I'm still giving it almost as much as I did at the start, passing them.

Catching your partner was fun.  I was with Erin, one of the intermediates, but she's quite fast.  We didn't have to go into the middle for a plank once because we always caught up with each other.  Until Max changed it to 5 secs and in the opposite direction, lol.  I think this has been a training exercise thought up after Belfast.  They kept the pack pace quite fast, faster than we're used to at scrims.  Although last scrims, we had Alma and Teenie, and the pace was faster then.  I prefer that.

Aside from training, I've put my name down for Dundee Roller Girls "Cherry Poppers" team.  It's going to be a mix of girls from FVRG, DRG, Perth and Aberdeen who have only bouted a few times, part of their double header in September.  I hope I get picked.  I would really like more experience, especially playing against other girls - when we do scrims, I know who to avoid, who's the big hitter, who's the fast jammer, I think we rely on that too much sometimes.
There's also an ARRG bootcamp coming up in October.  Alma is going to be one of the coaches, I'd love to do this!  I'm hoping to start going along to her Saturday sessions every now and again, more experience, again.  I need it!
And then we have our home bout in November.  I changed my holiday plans, just in case I get picked (I was originally going over to the US that week to see the boy).  I really don't think I will.  I need to improve a lot on Belfast.  But I'm working on it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment